Looking to spruce up your home without undergoing a total remodel? Using feng shui, or even just drawing from some of the philosophy’s principles, is a great way to freshen up the feeling and visual appeal of your house. Our work at GG Home blends livability with great style, always utilizing the best feng shui for the space.
Feng shui is a Chinese art and science that was developed over 3,000 years ago. It focuses on synchronizing peoples’ health and well being with the energies of their surrounding spaces. This Taoist philosophy incorporates the principle of five elements—wood, fire, earth, metal, and water—to create energy and harmony in your home. The deeper ideas of feng shui get complicated, and whether you believe in these energies or not, using its basic guidelines can create a noticeable difference in the arrangement of your living space. Follow these basic feng shui tips to freshen up your home for summer.
- Identify the areas of your home that need the most attention. Try to focus on spaces that aren’t already styled, such as the garage, laundry room and closets.
- Get colorful. Each of the five feng shui elements corresponds to a color, and utilizing these palates is the easiest way to bring harmony to your home.
o Wood: green, brown
o Fire: red, dark yellow, orange, purple, pink
o Earth: light yellow, light brown
o Metal: white, grey
o Water: blue, black
- View your house as a whole space rather than separate rooms that are connected. Understand that your home is a system and each area works together to create energy—one neglected area will spread negative vibes throughout the house.
- Always keep good lighting and air quality. Open windows to invite a fresh breeze and natural light. Introduce plants or an air-purifier. Good air and light are essential for feng shui energy in your home, known as “chi.”
- De-clutter. Unwanted stuff clogs your home from harmony and clean living. Getting rid of unnecessary items can be refreshing for both your house and your spirit.
Feng shui for beginners: Try these basics from the ancient philosophy to freshen up your home for summer!